1. Hot Cocoa packets! ‘Tis the season for hot chocolate, and instant hot cocoa is easy, fast, and fun for the whole family.
To keep the “easy” in there, we recommend the kinds that dissolve in water and don’t require milk. Some newer brands come with custom marshmallows in shapes like unicorns!
Make sure you include enough packets for everyone, adults included.
2. Want a warm and tasty treat to enjoy with hot chocolate? Bring on the popcorn!
Popcorn packs are easy to cook up, a fun treat, and can be a little healthier than other snacking options.
You can even make your own instant popcorn packs by adding the popping kernels to brown paper bags (Google it!) – just make sure to include instructions.
3. Cozy socks. Since we’re really digging into this cozy theme, anyone can enjoy some fuzzy socks this time of year!
You will need to do some recon on the number of kids and their ages, but unlike with shoes, there aren’t really that many sizes of kids socks, so don’t get overwhelmed. Tip for kids 10 and older: just go with adult-sized socks.
There are great deals on fuzzy socks at Old Navy and Target this year.
4. Books! Individual books for different aged kids would be great, but if that’s too much, one good seasonal book that the family can read together will be perfect.
Some favorites for Advent and Christmas are Tomie dePaolo’s “The Night of Las Posadas” and “The Legend of the Poinsettia,” as well as “Great Joy” by Kate DiCamillo.
5. Use your imagination! Home-baked cookies, craft activities for the kiddos, coloring books, fleece blankets, winter hats and mittens, personalized mugs or ornaments – any of these are always welcome gifts.
6. What to put all this in? Reusable grocery bags are always nice to have around, and you can find fun, seasonal ones for this time of year. A durable basket or crate, that could be used to store kids’ toys afterward, would also be great. And for a thrifty option, cut an old shipping box down to size and cover it in wrapping paper!
Top it off with a Christmas card, and you’re all set!
We hope this list gets you inspired to share some love this holiday season!